Wednesday, March 10, 2010


Sean Hayes is Gay!
I read it yesterday in the entertainment news. I went online to read the article in The Advocate- the U.S. magazine of “all things Gay”. Sean-you may remember, played Jack McFarland on the Television series “Will & Grace”. The on-screen character was Gay- flamboyantly so. He had heart. A nice guy. The whole world was Gay according to Jack.
Now, in his private life, four years after Will & Grace wrapped, he has come out- publicly, with this Advocate interview.

Coming out is dubious.
I know. I’ve been there.
I did it back in 1980 when things were still fairly closeted for Gay Men and Women. I had a few friends back away. I had family stand way back. As a matter of fact, my father didn’t want me in the house for Christmas. He changed his tune a week or so before but by then it was too late.I had other plans.

I don’t know why one has to come “out” publicly. I suppose it’s because you are really something other
than what people perceive you to be. So, you need to change their mindset. After a while it becomes quite droll having Aunt Tillie continually ask you-
“So, when are you going to get married. A fine boy like you would be a “catch” for a young gal!”
Ewwww!
So changing their mindset is really shifting their gears- as I always say.
My line would be- “Hey, I’m Gay”.
Their line- “Oh.”
Slight pause. This is the shifting gears part…
“Ooooh!”

I know of many people who indeed are Gay or Lesbian but remain closeted- unless they are in your presence. It’s hard to keep it- pardon the word, “straight” sometimes. t’s like- Oh ya, there are no straight people around so you are Gay- or Lesbian. Then let one heterosexual step in and all of a sudden their sexual orientation is ambiguous. I needed a checklist to remember who and what that person was when someone came new. I even got accused of outing someone once, while at dinner with a tableful of Gays and Lesbians.
You see, I left my checklist in my other pants and apparently blurted out within earshot of strangers sitting around our table that a certain person at our table was Gay. I didn’t use that word but it was innuendo so I was told. Basically, that would mean that I too have to pretend to be “straight” when someone I am in the company of keeps jumping from the Gay to the Straight side of the fence and back again.

Everyone has their own reason to be whatever they are and to let whomever they choose know who they really are in their day to day life. But for gosh sakes, when you reach your 30’s and 40’s have some respect for yourself and who you claim to be. I could be wrong here but I don’t think I have lost too many good chances in my life just because someone knew that I was Gay.
Maybe I have.
If I have, I really don’t need to know about it now- or care.

Back to Sean Hayes. I understand that being “out” in Hollywood might be injurious to one’s career. In his case though I would expect he has a few million tucked away in a bank account, so why not say- F*** ‘em if they can’t take a joke!I always had thought he was Gay in real life anyway.

Don’t know why.
I just did.
Maybe I read it somewhere.

Thinking back to the Will & Grace days on TV you sure didn’t see him in too many interviews and when you did it seemed the whole Will & Grace gang were there. He didn’t say much. He seemed quiet and shy. Maybe it was his way of protecting his ass. Maybe his management told him to only speak when spoken to and to be careful what he spake! After all there were a lot of people who were getting paid from Sean’s talent.

So, now we know he’s out. We know too- from The Advocate article, that he has someone special in his life but he’s not offering details about that relationship. I wouldn’t either.
We don’t need to know.
Hmmm. Maybe one day it might be nice to sit down with him and have a “bitch-fest”.
Invite Rufus Wainwright too.
Now that’s a “fest!”

IN OTHER NEWS

Helen's Hubbie gets wrist slap for drugs and careless driving. You and I would be thrown in jail. Tory-leaning judge? Tory intervention? Sounds like somehting that would happen south of the border- down Mexico way. Chuck the "cons"-sooner rather than later.

A virus that may kill cancer cells? 10 years of research but it won't be available outside of test cases for another two years. Woo-Hoo! Cancer can be beaten!

Research says 40+ women better at math than the rest of us- women under 40 included.
Huh go figure!