Thursday, January 5, 2012

ROBBLOG #362 W E E K E N D Edition


Most days I can’t even remember my own name.

However, while watching Rogers On Demand, I see a commercial for Disney World. These Disney characters flash by the screen and I turn to Tom and say-
“That’s Buzz Lightyear!”

I don’t even know Buzz Lightyear but I know him to see him by golly. I couldn’t even tell you the name of the movie he was in for Disney. It was animated of course.

Then, shortly after I re-newed my aquaintance with Buzz, I received an e-mail from someone I worked with more than 10 years ago. I remember the name but can’t remember the face. Never worked alongside Buzz or ever met him in person for that matter, yet I know him to see him. Then there’s someone I worked with- in real life, yet I have no recollection of the face.

I would like to blame it on my age.

It couldn’t be that.
I really think the problem is within the “files” in my brain. After a certain amount of time has passed, these files get automatically “filed” in the “add or remove programmes” section of my brain. They sit there just in case they are needed but they just aren’t as vivid or as fast to recall  as they once were. That’s why I can’t remember most things that have happened- say 27 and a half hours ago!

Haven’t we all been to a party where we are introduced to some new, interesting people?
The scenario-
The party host wants to introduce me to a friend I had not been familiar with prior to the party.
I wait for the introduction.
I shake hands and make a point to remember their name.
We chat for 30 seconds and then suddenly wham bam…the name goes!
There is a fleeting memory but that’s about it.
Let me see-
James?
Evan?
Neil?
Kevin?
Bryan?
Damned if I know!

It’s at times like this I should have a whack of “Hello My Name Is…” cards in my pocket.
I would write the name on a card with my handy Sharpie as soon as the introduction is made.
Then, I would peel back the protective coating and slap the sticky back onto Bryan or Neil or Evan’s chest.
How easy would that be?
All I would have to do is glance down at Neil’s chest and instantly recall his name.
No embarrassment.
However, I am sure I would be remembered as the guy who stuck a “Hello My Name Is” Sticker on their chest.
That wouldn’t be so bad.
Sad- just not so bad.
At least I wouldn’t be referred to as the "old geezer", who couldn’t remember a fella’s name 5 minutes after he heard it.

Maybe I should just go for it.
Hey, I’ll even bet those stickers are a buck or two at Dollarama.

I had better check it out tomorrow.

Now, if I can just remember.