Friday, February 11, 2011

ROBBLOG # 220 W E E K E N D Edition


Another opening. Another show.

This time it’s Looking- a Norm Foster comedy. This show has been a big job for all concerned. I think I auditioned way back in late September.
I am told each of the actors have an average of 450 lines of dialogue.
That’s why it felt like so much work.
Geesh!
The results of our months of work are on stage now at the Opera House Studio Theatre. There’s only four of us in the cast- Patti Scott, Jim Dwyer, Phyllis Johnson and me but we pack a punch!

There’s also a large backstage element here. That because set pieces have to be constantly moved on and off stage. A theatre-goer remarked after the show last night that there are so many scene changes!
There are.
The same scenes but they are constantly shuffling.
As an actor, just try to keep all that straight in your head.
I have notes posted in my dressing room wall regarding my costume changes and back stage I have two notes taped to the back of that “window” in my apartment. You’ll have to see the show to understand “the window”.
The notes tell me where I am and what I am about to say as my character “Matt”.
It can get confusing.

Backstage, there’s makeup and costumes from Shimera, Deb and Bev. Props by Susan. Susan even helps move set pieces on stage left. She’s there to help me shove my arms into a shirt during a fast change sequence.
Yow!
Up in the production booth Tom and Claude do the light cues and music and SFX. Downstairs Lisa is on a headset connected to Tom and Claude. She sets the actors in motion.

Then on stage right- where Andy and Matt disappear a few times during “Looking”, there’s more props, set pieces and Krista- who is also connected to Tom and Lisa via headset. She cues our entrance back on stage as well as shoving a beer bottle or two at us and in Andy’s case a couple of drinks for the ladies as well.
It really is a well-oiled machine. We all have to keep on top of it.

For the actors- besides remembering the dialogue, we have to remember what scene we are about to do. The stage crew has to place the right set pieces in the right spot on stage so everything is placed there, waiting for the scene to begin.

An actor friend- who joined us for the opening night celebration at Brewery Bay after the show, was impressed by the large number of stage crew.
We need every one of them too!
We even have a couple of students who are not only deepening their love of theatre but are also fulfilling their 40 hours of community service during their high school years.

So, here we are up and running- finally.
If you want to spend an enjoyable winter evening and have a few laughs some and see us.

“Looking” runs until Sunday February 20th and tickets are available online at the Opera House website, on the phone at 705. 326.8011 or in person at the Box Office at the Opera House.

Hey, we’d love to see you and offer you a night of great theatre!