Monday, September 13, 2010

ROBBLOG # 141

Deck the Halls with Boughs of Holly.

Fah-Lah-Lah-Lah.... (screetch to a sudden halt)… Whuck?
Yes, it’s Christmastime in Rob’s head and has been for a couple of weeks now.
Why for holly sakes?

I have just finished writing and casting a Christmas show.
“Oh!”- you say.
“Yes!” – I reply.

“Now I see”- you nod knowingly.

It’s Hank’s second annual- last year being the first annual, Christmas Holiday Spectacular.
A “bevy” of guests with all sorts of buffoonery and all manner of holiday fun and music!
“Buffoonery?”- you ask.

“It’s Hank!”- I say.

“That explains it!”- you titter and tee hee to yourself.

This year the big difference- from last year’s A Very Merry HANKmuss, is The Garage Door Players- including all things Hank, have joined with Couchiching Jubilee House to present this Holiday spectacular! Proceeds from ticket sales go to Couchiching Jubilee House. A worthy cause as are all causes at this festive time of the year. I believe that’s part a line from a Dicken’s A Christmas Carol.

To explain consider me the Ghost of Christmas Past.

A year ago last May Gill Tillman at CJH, asked me to direct the Dicken’s show at St. Andrews. I did. I changed things around a bit- as is my want, adding a tableaux- along with the readers- and volia! It was a beautiful Christmas Evening on December 20th.

Now, to the Ghost of Christmas Present.

This past May, Gill called me again, only this time to ask me, to ask me to ask Hank, if he would consider doing a Christmas Show instead of Charles Dickens.
I think Hank reading Dickens would be a hoot but that was not the request!
The request from Gill was for an all-new Hank Show.
Wow!
What a great honour!
Subbing for Chuck.
A new show, written by me- performed by Hank and a few friends! I told Hank- and Gill, that I needed the summer to think about it. In August I wrote most of a show. I sat on it a bit and decided- I didn’t like it.
Then, one day while dusting the mantelpiece, a thought flashed across my brain like Hailey’s Comet!
Why not have Hank as the M.C. of his own talk show- on Television no less!
He could have guests. Talk to the audience and welcome in the Holiday Season- very warmly and with a few laughs.

I went over to Hank’s place in late August and passed the script by him.
He loved it!
Of course, Hank’s Mother grumbled that once again she was not “starring” in the show let alone appearing in it. Soon after, she locked herself in the upstairs’ bath and threw things at the walls.
A few minutes later she came flying down the stairs and ran out the front door, slamming it heavily as she left.
Apparently, she almost missed her Bingo.
Here, I thought she was heaving bath salts around because she had been omitted from the script but she was just in a hurry after suddenly remembering it was Thursday and “wild card” bingo night.

The Show is called “A Chatty HANKmuss” and plays the Stubley Auditorium on December 11th and 12th, Two shows each day at 2PM and 7:30PM.
Tickets go on sale soon. Group bookings are welcomed.
This “fundraiser” will sell out early so don’t miss a great evening of Yuletide Fun!

Have a great day!