Monday, June 7, 2021

ROBBLOG #883- Longing

 


I'm longing.

Longing for summer?
Not number one on my list of longings but it was Mayuary here on the Island and now it's Juneuary.
Where the feck is summer?
Temps are cool.
Just 5c last night.
Osoyoos- where it's basically a desert, had snow last night!
Yes, I guess I could be longing for a typical Island Summer but that's not on the top of my list.

No, what I am really longing for is theatre.
There. I've said it.
Moving to this Island The Mister and I had to give up theatre- both going to and performing in.
We gave up theatre like Mirvish theatre back in Toronto or  the Broadway stuff or West End London stuff. The last big show we saw was "Come from Away" and we didn't even see this Canadian production here in Canada. We saw it while we were in London before covid reared it's most ugly of heads.

Occasionally, a touring Broadway show comes to Victoria here on the Island.
A couple of years back we saw Jersey Boys- again, for the umpteenth time.
We saw it in Toronto twice when it was a sit-down production but longing for a big show we decided to see it in Victoria again. Casts in these touring shows are smaller than the Toronto presentations and it's noticeable.

We've seen some regional stuff in Chemainus which is just 20 minutes up island.  Shows like Mama Mia, Kim's Convenience and Grease were really, really good. However the longing is still there to trod the boards. A Brit show that was live-streamed Sunday night called "The Show Must Go On" was in aid of all people and things theatrical. Seeing all those performers get up an belt a song stirred my heart even more so.

I want to do theatre again.
I just don't know how to start here. 
I may have mentioned this in a Blog before.
I haven't really met any actors where I have developed an ongoing friendship.
Then, there's the age quotient.
Tempus fugit dammit!

 One of the many configurations of my Garage Door Players.
This show was called "The Gospel According to Life".

Writing this Blog helps keep my writing out there- whether you like what I write about or not. I see the numbers that read each blog. I know the stuff you readers ignore and stuff  you read. Some of it based on the title of the blog alone. 
Take a recent blog about penises. 
They've been in the news what with that MP showing his on zoom- not once but twice.
That was not read by a lot of people.
To be fair, if I saw a blog entitled  "Vagina", I'm not sure I'd read it either.
The thing is I can't expect you all to read all my blogs but I still write about certain subjects- like them or not. It is called "RobBlog" not NancyBlog or PeterBlog or KenBlog- right?

Besides this Blog, broadcasting my online radio stations Starlite and The Island's Golden Classics keeps me in "showbiz"- sorta.

However, these past weeks- in my mind at least, I've been re-writing "All for Nun" and calling it 
"All for ONE" but in this new show, the girls aren't Nuns anymore. 
It's a dangerous place to be in today. 
Wearing a habit. 
When it comes to all things Catholic. I'm not sure if the humour would be appreciated.

So my characters- Sister Mary Margaret, Sister Neutrogena, Sister Murray Anne and Father O'Mally, have left their order and church behind and now run a community centre. They won't be the first or last to leave their "faith" behind. "All for ONE" has the same characters only minus the "Sister/Father" title.
I think the schlock and jokes will still work. Mary Margaret will still be in charge and will now be a man in a dress- kaftan actually, not a habit.

I may have Mary Margaret explain the change or maybe I'll just leave it to be written in the programme synopsis. I could use a voice over or an onstage announcer who will tell all at the beginning of the show. The show will kick off with the song I wrote for a previous show which just happens to be called- All for One. I've even toyed with the song being " The Sound of Music" and the characters kick the "habit" before the song ends.
I dunno...

Once I have it laid out in my mind- as I usually do when writing, I'll start to put it down on paper or at least in the computer. Most writers scrawl copious notes. I think it through then rush to get it all down before I forget- keyboards keys heartily tapping. The Mister knows never to interrupt me when he hears a flurry of thought unless North Korea is dropping the bomb or Putin's shirtless on the back of a horse again. Pretty much the same thing.

Some of the initial scenes I write go straight from brain to paper and never see a change until they hit the stage. It's just my funny way of writing.
Burl Ives had a funny way of laughing. 
I have a funny way of writing.

So Kids in my moment of theatrical need I am relieving the itch by being creative.
Take this joke for instance-

Mary Margaret tells the audience that a friend of hers had passed recently.
When he was close to the end of his life, a relative leaning over the dying man and asked him if he wanted to renounce Satan before he departed this earthly coil.
The dying friend looked up at the relative and said-
"I'd like to keep my options open- if you don't mind, so feck right off!

Typical Mary Margaret stuff...