Monday, December 10, 2018

ROBBLOG #757 A Little Charity My Dears



Ah...the Holidays.

Palm Trees covered in a light frost. Green Grass. Cordyline plants glistening in the sunshine.
Wreaths on doors and fireworks in the air.
At least, that's a west coast, island Christmas.

I wonder if Old Ebeneezer would have like it?

Nasty as he is and was, old Scrooge- along with the Ghosts who visited his humble domicile, have certainly played a prominent part in our Holiday Celebrations. Once he re-invented himself he was referred to as being “a better man than any old man in any old town or city anywhere!”
I would expect that goes for the Ladies in town too.

I've watched many versions of A Christmas Carol over the years and no matter which one I view, it gets me to thinking about people that continue to stir the pot of gruel when there should be joy and peace. 

Cripes, I even stir the pot myself now and then.
You? I hear you say.
I know- right?
That's hard to believe but there are times that I am nothing more than a grouchy old senior citizen.

Sometimes, it is unavoidable. As Bob Cratchit once remarked to Mrs. Cratchit over a flaming Christmas pudding -“My Dear, have some Charity!”
Only this time it's the Mister playing Mrs. Cratchit without the turned ribbons.
He may not say "have some charity". These days it's "watch your blood pressure Dear."

Charity. 
It may be directed at someone in line behind you at Canadian Tire. Someone who steals your parking spot Downtown or those among us who need to spread benevolence instead of ill-will. It's not easy getting through the Christmas Season without a few blips on the Holiday Grid. There can be friction in relationships- conjured up years ago, that still rots away at our hearts a bit more every Christmas.

There are friends who continue to think the worst of you and seem to forget the best of you.
I- of all people, understand that it's not easy to forgive- even at this most forgiving time of year. I read a quote years ago. It said:
“People come into your life randomly and they leave randomly.”

I thought it was simple- but well said. It can be difficult to lose those who pass on to the next level of enlightenment and leave us behind. Life sucks but it keeps moving forward. Death happens to us all sooner or later. Saying goodbye to friends- human, canine or feline, who have been spirited away to another dimension is just a part of life. It’s something we can't control.

Disagreements and misunderstandings happen to everyone. However if there is one time in the year where Goodwill prevails, it is the Christmas Season- upon the cusp of where we now stand. If Ebenezer Scrooge can see the light, then there's hope for us all. Love breeds hope but putting things right is a difficult “Holiday Path” to tread.

If you do decide to mend a fence or two, what's the very least than could happen? A brick or two might crumble in the wall that lies between you and someone else. “Passing on” is the final brick in the wall. There's no making amends when that final brick is mortared into place. So be aware.
You do have to be prepared to let things go however.
That is hard for me at times, I will admit.
I always joke- I don't get mad, I get even.
Ooops, my kitty claws are showing.

Letting things go.  There’s nothing wrong with moving on. If you do attempt to make things right, sometimes, no matter how sincere an orchestrated, heartfelt apology is offered, some situations cannot be reversed and shouldn’t be. At this point refer back to “people leaving randomly”. You still have memories of the good times and like the song says- “they can't take that away from me.”

As for Scrooge, at least he eventually saw the light and from that we all can take heart and let Christmas Joy prevail.

Bless us, Every One- in a non-religious, Humanist loving way of course.