Friday, February 8, 2013

ROBBLOG #473

 
A nice story appeared in the local press today.
 
Irene had lost her purse with credit cards and health card tucked inside. A Good Samaritan found it in a parking lot outside the store where Irene had been shopping and took it back into the store. Irene returned to the store to ask about her purse and was more than happy to have it returned.
 
There are good people out there!
Well, not all people.
 
I don’t know how but I dropped an envelope Tuesday afternoon- containing $180 dollars, while shopping for night lights at Dollarama (near Walmart).
A 2 buck purchase cost me 180 dollars. Expensive lights!
 
I didn’t realize the envelope containing the money was missing from my bag until that evening.
I called the store the next day and they had given the envelope and money in it to someone making a claim for it!
Yes, someone had claimed the white deposit envelope saying it was theirs! There was a Royal Bank receipt inside the envelope- along with the cash, which I had tucked inside a leather bag I carry.
 
Apparently- according to the store manager, a woman picked the envelope up from the floor.
She “found it.”- but when she passed it onto the clerk there was only 100 dollars in it.
The clerk had counted the contents. The nice lady had helped herself to $80.
 
Then less than an hour later a man came in and claimed the remaining $100.
He showed no ID.
He had no proof of a Royal Bank Client card where 4 digits could have been matched from the slip inside the envelope with the money. The store could have retained the envelope and it could have been taken to the Royal Bank.
No, that would have been too easy.
 
There was no remorse from the store manager regarding the loss of any of the funds.
“I’m sorry”- was all she said.
“Maybe you should change your lost and found policy.”- I suggested, nicely.
Why get upset? The cash was gone. Forever.
 
I contacted the police to say that there should be a better system for returning lost items.
The officer said he would speak with the store manager but I have lost the $180.
 
Quite the scam from this lady and gentleman.
I guess they needed it more than I did.
Drugs and booze don’t come cheap these days.
Okay, that’s an unfair comment. Maybe they needed to buy formula for their baby or a pack
of cigarettes.
Sorry. That’s an unfair judgement I know, however, I am just saying.
So, not everyone in Orillia is as forthright when finding someone’s possessions or lost money.
A quick buck is more important. The Management at Dollarama don’t seem interested in changing the rules although the Manager said she would tell the “District Manager”.
 
Really, it was because of the store that I didn’t at least get the $100 dollars that the less-than-truthful “good Samaritan” passed along to the clerk.
 
Oh yes, according to the Dollarama clerk, the lady returning the lost envelope was interested in what would happen to the money if it wasn’t claimed? I suppose she didn’t like the non-answer from the Dollarama clerk so she had a “friend” come to the store to make the claim for the $100.
I mean, she wouldn’t want some unscrupulous person to claim it for his or her own- would she?
Nobody likes being ripped off and there are a lot of unsavoury characters out there. She needed to protect her interest!
I mean, she found “my” money after all right?
It was her duty to protect it like it was her own- wasn’t it?
In her mind she deserved part of it- a reward at the very least, just for finding it and turning it in.
 
How a “theft” like this doesn’t weigh on one’s conscious is beyond me.
I guess they don’t think its breaking any laws or hurting anyone.
 
Hey! Maybe they’ll take up a collection and help me get my money back. They do that for old folks like me- don’t they?
 
In the meantime, I’ll be eating Kraft Dinner for a week or two!