Tuesday, April 30, 2013

ROBBLOG #485

My Hubbie and I have joined the TIE Club.
 
No, we don’t get a new tie every month for two years. It’s a club for ~gulp~ seniors.
Seniors you say?
Yes, these days 55+ is Senior territory.
 
Back in January- when our Producer Andrea Lee-Burnet was looking for rehearsal space for our current Garage Door Players Show “Sadie Flynn Come to Big Oak, she discovered the TIE Club.
TIE stands for The Intelligent Elders. The club is centrally located in Downtown Orillia and is a bright, clean modern facility that charges us minimum rates for use of their space.
 
As rehearsals moved on, our attention was drawn to the activities at the centre including $5 lunches every other Tuesday.
That’s right.
5 Bucks.
 
At our first luncheon, we enjoyed Baked Spaghetti, Salad, Tea and Coffee with Hot Apple Pie topped with a generous scoop of vanilla ice cream for dessert.
 
I don’t know how they do it.
They just do.
Prices are a definite rollback to the 1940’s and 50’s.
 
 
 
As we got talking to those in charge- Judy and Don, we discovered that membership was available for only 10 dollars for a year.
Four cast members joined at the next rehearsal and that’s why we are members of TIE.
I don’t know how involved we’ll get but we are at least intending to be at the 5 dollar lunches.
They’ve also asked the Players to perform a Christmas Show.
We said yes!
 
I must admi,tI do feel a bit out of place there. Tom and I are proud of our 28 years together but we were beaten by one couple at 60 years and another just at the tip of 50. They were friendly folks yet some a bit timid. I supposed they wondered if these newcomers were going to come in and take their club away?
No way!
We appreciate the space and we are using it with respect and much gratitude.
 
A couple of months back I was tempting Tom with photos of South Florida homes in gated parks where prices started at 10 thousand dollars for a modular home with 2 bedrooms and two baths. The communities were all 55+.
He says to me “I don’t want to live in a park with a bunch of old folks!”
I pause and said- “Hunnie, I’m 62 this summer!”
He looked stunned for a moment then smiled.
 
Reality can be a bitch.