Thursday, July 29, 2021

ROBBLOG #888- Give Me A Bag, Please

 


Many years ago my Mother and her friend were talking about an acquaintance.

This acquaintance they had not seen for several years.
"I wonder how old he'd be- if he's still alive at all"- the friend says.
"Oh Goodness,"-says my Mum," He must be an awful age by now..."

An awful age.
That's 70.
That's me.
Today. It's right where I am at and let me tell you, it IS an awful age- especially if you still believe- inside, you're 27.
I wouldn't want to be 27 again but being a tad younger would be nice.

Life is good and I can't complain.

"You go Gurl!"

Then, there was yesterday.
We were lunching and shopping in Victoria with friends.
After lunch we headed to the Bay Centre. 
I needed some eye cream from The Body Shop. I've been using this particular cream under my eyes for a century it seems and I believe it keeps my eyes looking younger and refreshed.

Anyhow, I pick up two small bottles of the eye cream and it tallies seventy-seven dollars and change.
The young gal behind the counter who also suggests I spread the cream on my lips, asks -
"Would you like to place your Body Shop purchase in a bag for 25 cents?"

Well, my first reaction was WTF?
The next was...well never mind...but it pissed me off.
I spend seventy-seven bucks and The Body Shop is too cheap to throw in a quarter bag?

Good Grief!

Earlier, I had made a purchase at a new shop run by a gal from Dublin- Ireland, who by way of Saskatoon, ended up on the Island. She sells Floral Perfumery.
A beautiful shop. It's at www.zingaropure.com
She gives the Mister and I our purchase in a lovely bag tied up with fresh, fragrant greenery.
How nice.
No charge and a big smile too.

I also remember the day before here in the Cowichan, we shopped at a lovely home store run by a former Ontarian from Buckhorn. Brian's been on Island for 10 months. His shop is just barely a couple of months old and he gave us two "free" bags.
Check him out at-
www.countryhomeandkitchen.ca

So what I am trying to say is here's The Body Shop who happens to be a chain where I've spent hundreds of dollars over the years and they are too Fucking cheap to place my purchase in a little bag.
They could have gone to the Dollar Store and bought a box of doggie poop bags and had 60 bags to use for customers. It doesn't sit well with me- environment conscious or not, or whatever the reason for the pathetic 25 cent charge.
It's just wrong and that's that.

Customer service is key and if the little guy can do it- why can't the Body Shop?
Yesterday, it ruined my almost 70 year old afternoon. My friends and the Mister are tired of hearing the story but after all I'm an old guy now and I can vent if I want to...

Do you hear that Body Shop?