Friday, September 19, 2014

ROBBLOG #555



In much the same way that Rob Ford detached himself from the Toronto Mayoralty race or the way Quebec wants to detach itself from the rest of Canada or even the example Scotland set to the world as half of the Scots tried to detach themselves from England...my retina has decided to attempt to detach itself from my pupil.

Just another of the wonderful things that can happen to one as one gets older.
 
%$#$#
 
The medical name is Posterior Vitreous Detachment.
Google it.
 
It started with some flashes of light in my peripheral vision to the left.
My left eye felt fuzzy.
Blurred vision.
My eye drops for dry eyes were not helping. It was like I was looking through a cloud.
There was no pain but it was irritating- and inconvenient, looking through this gauze-like whatever it was.
 
So, on Tuesday I had to go to the eye doctor.
My retina in my left eye is detaching.
The jelly-like substance is peeling off the back of the retina.
 
For 6 weeks I have to take it easy.
Rest. No stress. No lifting. No bending over and then getting up quickly.
Less computer time.
It all irritates the condition.
All kinds of neat stuff really.
 
I see what appears like a cloud or cobweb on my left eye.
It’s annoying and worrisome.
Age related I am told.
Happens to 75% of us over 65.
I am not quite there yet but Dr. Hung says it's just one of the features of getting older.
How I love being 63!!
 
The eye guy is hoping it will re-attach. If it completely detaches and I see a black curtain over my eye or more light flashes, I have to get medical help asap. Right now I am waiting until Oct 21st when I have my
next appointment and when I hope he will tell me things are OK.
The worst scenario?
 
The retina detaches and surgery becomes the next step.
 
I hear Tom yelling- GET OFF THAT COMPUTER!
Better run.
 
Take care of your eyes, eh?