Saturday, October 30, 2021

ROBBLOG #997- French like France

 


First off.
Notice this Blog is number 997.
Only 3 blogs and I reach 1000.
A milestone. What happens next?
I had planned to stop writing at number 500.
What happened?
I should go back to number 500 and have a read.

This past week, I slipped into Homo Depot to buy chalked paint.
For several years I have had a yearning to paint our oak dining set and hutch French Linen White.
We had been through a few days of fog and mist and rain when about 4ish in the afternoon I says
to the Mister- "That's it. Homo Depot has the chalked paint I have been wanting back in stock. I'm going to do it!"

And I did.
I painted and chalked my little heart out for a couple of days. Then, I waxed my work.
Overall it was pretty easy.
No prep.
Just paint- although a wipe down doesn't hurt.
Chalk paint doesn't splatter much and it goes on quickly. The end product is bee-you-tea-ful.
A French White Dining room in a day plus a few hours to wax once the chalked paint is completely dry.
This Solid Oak Dining set was made by Mennonites in Ontario- near Guelph, thirty four years ago.
It has stood the test of time but it was looking dated.
I love the French look. Some call it Farmhouse.
The Mister calls it- "I'm not sure but as long as you like it..."
I am used to these retorts these days.
Anyhoo, I do love the look and it brings the white woodwork in the dining area to life.


So back up a bit.
When I stepped into Homo Depot I walked into seasonal splendour. The store just inside the main doors was stocked from ceiling to floor with Holiday decor. There was not a ghoul in sight only reindeer, Christmas Trees and sparkle.

I had a quick look even though I was on a chalked paint mission. On a top shelf I could see a six foot Eiffel Tower. Definitely not as large as the original in Paris but with the twinkling lights it was a very reasonable facsimile in understated gold.
When you visit the tower in Paris it actually is a rusty brown.
This store model was a flat gold. It drew my interest because I bought the same tower in white years ago.

Since my purchase, the twinkling lights have all stopped twinkling and I have had to re-string it with simple, white fairy lights. It works. Just not as pretty as with the prelit twinkling lights. I noticed the price at one hundred and seventy dollars was not as pretty as before either.

I believe a ten dollar can of gold spray paint could give my tower a lift but I'd have to remove the lights, then spray the gold and re-string the lights.
Not sure I'm up for the redo.
I've painted enough this week but never say never.

As a final thought I encourage you to think about "prelit" anything. Over the years I haven't had the best luck when it comes to prelit trees- indoor or outdoor as well as prelit geese. It sure saves time when decorating a tree. Then one year you plug it in and half the tree is dark.
I am thinking about that this year.
Our huge 14 foot prelit, 900 light indoor tree from Costco is looking at its 6th year this Holiday Season.
I hope the heck it works when I plug it in.

If it goes dark you'll hear me scream from British Columbia all the way back to Ontario!